Online Thrift Shopping with a Purpose: Look great. Do good.
Whether you’re a savvy shopper or a trend-setting Millennial, we’ve carefully curated a collection of thousands of apparel items for your perusal. We’re thrilled to offer you great deals on greater fashions. But you should know this, too: When you shop the reStitch online thrift store, you’re shopping for good. You’re helping us — and our shared world — just as much. And you can use this opportunity to create the perfect look and fit for your personality!
How Your Online Thrift Store Purchase Helps Make Good Things Happen
Once you’ve made a purchase, what happens? What do we do with the money you send us? We employ wonderful people, sure. And those folks are happy to provide sterling customer service and keep our website filled to the virtual brim with hundreds of brand names. So, thanks for that (and for them!). But, that’s just the beginning. Read on, dear friends.
Facts about reStitch and Goodwill
As an initiative of Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin — Goodwill NCW, to you — we do so much more for our communities, thanks to you. Every purchase you make contributes to a long history of helping people in need. Here’s that incredible story:
- Goodwill began in 1902 to create a “hand up, not a hand-out” for poor people in the south end of Boston.
- Dr. Edgar Helms, a Methodist minister, collected used clothing and household goods from Boston’s wealthier areas, and hired poor people to mend and repair the donations. Some of the repaired or mended goods were resold, while some were kept as payment for the work of repair.
- Those simple acts of kindness and social enterprise created Goodwill, a $5 billion nonprofit organization today.
- In 2015, the 164 independent, locally governed, nonprofit organizations that comprise Goodwill’s efforts in the United States and Canada served more than 37 million people — 35 million through computers and mobile devices to access Goodwill training, and 2 million who received Goodwill services in person, building careers and financial assets.
- Also in 2015, Goodwill’s efforts placed more than 312,000 people in jobs, and more than 42,000 worked with local Goodwills to earn work credentials.
- Across the full Goodwill footprint, 83 percent of the organization’s revenues are spent on education, career services and community programming.
Every day, Goodwill and reStitch make a positive difference. Every dollar you spend with us gives people a better chance to succeed.
Meet Goodwill NCW, the Organization behind the reStitch Online Thrift Store
Goodwill NCW — one of the above-mentioned 164 organizations, and home to reStitch — serves 35 counties in Wisconsin, from the shores of Lake Michigan to the banks of the Mississippi River.
- Our job programs help people with disabilities create skills to find gainful employment, and we help them find jobs throughout the retail and service sectors.
- We offer 29 human services programs, including financial counseling, birth-to-3 support for families, restorative justice, community gardening, LGBTQ support and more.
- In 2015, Goodwill NCW touched the lives of 63,701 people and collected more than 46.2 million pounds of donated items, keeping them out of landfills and creating a healthier planet.